Wardown house was built in the 1880’s but it wasn’t until 1931 that it became a museum, due to the campaigning of Thomas Wyatt Bagshawe and The Luton News. In the early days it only occupied a couple of rooms but soon expanded with increasing donations. The Museum survived through the Second World War, with the basement being requisitioned by the military for use as an air raid shelter. In recent times concerns of dampness and timber decay lead to the Museum contacting Kenwood for an inspection. Kenwood found Rising Damp and Dry Rot to be affecting the Billiard Room and Smoking Room. Treatments included injection of a new Damp Proof Course and irrigation of the walls to eradicate Dry Rots. With Kenwoods works complete the museum can continue to serve as a lasting reminder of local history.
|External view of Museum||
One section of completed works ready for reinstatement of skirting boards